- The name of the first letter of the Greek alphabet (Α, α), followed by beta. In the Latin alphabet it is the predecessor to A.
- Latin alpha
- (science) The name of the symbols Α and α used in science and mathematics, often interchangeable with the symbols when used as a prefix. I will attempt to make an alpha particle ("α-particle") with the large hadron collider.
- (finance) The return of a given asset or portfolio adjusted for systematic risk.
- An alpha male.
- 2008, Faye Flam, The Score: How the Quest for Sex Has Shaped the Modern Man, Avery (2008), ISBN 9781436225786, unnumbered page: Being a beta male in a species with alphas doesn't mean you have to sit out the mating game.
- 2008, The New Black Lace Book of Women's Sexual Fantasies (ed. Mitzi Szereto), Black Lace (2008), ISBN 9780352341723, page 38: I'm still turned on by alpha males. I think there are only a couple of other men that turn me on . . . ones that are clearly not alphas.
- 2009, Martin G. Groder & Pat Webster, Winning at Love: The Alpha Male's Guide to Relationship Success, Bascom Hill Books (2009), ISBN 9781935456049, page ix: This book is primarily for alpha males, or “top dogs.” We'll talk more about that later; but let's just say that if you are a man and successful in the world of trade, business, or profession, most likely you are an alpha, or you have been trained to act like an alpha.
- (informal, abbreviation) Alphabet.
- (computer graphics) The level of translucency of a color, as determined by the alpha channel.
- Designates the first in an order of precedence. I am the alpha male.
- (person, object or action) associated with the alpha male/female archetype.
- (star) Designates the brightest star in a constellation. When space travel becomes feasible, I plan to visit Alpha Centauri.
- alphabet soup
- alphabetical order