- (slang, British) unpleasant, especially in a sarcastic, grumpy or haughty manner.
- 2007, , How to...... do work experience, April 30 Work experience as an arsey teenager is pretty straightforward: disappear into the storeroom, smoke a few cigarettes, text your mates and watch the minute hand tick slowly by. If there's nowhere suitable to hide, all you need is a vacant computer and you can chat to your skiving associate in the building next door.
- 2002, , Sophie's world, interview with , October 28 "Oh, we had that singer in the other day and they were really arsey with us, and we only kept them waiting half an hour' - and I go, 'Hang on a minute, that's a long time and they've probably been doing lots of work that day and I think that it's actually justified for them to get annoyed.'"
- 2000, , Sensing the City Through Television: Urban Identities in Fictional Drama page 50 First few months in, I was arsey as hell. Thought they were a right bunch of wankers.
- ayres, resay, sayer, Sayer, years