- In a state of sleep; also, broadly, rest. I was asleep when you called. Never disturb a man asleep.
- (slang) Inattentive. How could you miss that? Were you asleep?
- (of a body part) Having a numb or prickling sensation accompanied by a degree of unresponsiveness. My arm fell asleep. You know, like pins and needles.
- 2003, Norma L. Bronoski, Nuns Don't Dance, Louisa sat in the car crying, until her foot fell asleep. She shook her foot violently, afraid the numbness would turn to frostbite.
- (euphemistic) dead
- Not used in attributive position.
- asleep at the switch
- elapse, please